More often than not, small business owners unknowingly put themselves at the mercy of their Landlord. Landlords negotiating with an uninformed tenant understand the leverage in hand - resulting in a process which can be intimidating for tenants. Working with …
Facility Cost Reduction & Strategy
More often than not, small business owners unknowingly put themselves at the mercy of their Landlord. Landlords negotiating with an uninformed tenant understand the leverage in hand - resulting in a process which can be intimidating for tenants. Working with a professional commercial real estate advisor provides the business owner with:
- Listed and unlisted market options,
- Access to comparable market data,
- The structure and number of completed transactions in the area,
- A viable negotiation strategy and process, and
- A competitive environment is created in which to negotiate
An owner attempting to negotiate or renew their lease without an advisor is analagous to going to war without ammunition. Without the above 5 items at minimum the opportunity for rent savings, rent forgiveness, leasehold allowances and term flexibility and other benefits could be left behind.
SUCCESS ELEMENTS has over 20 years of representing Tenants with their facility requirements. Services offered include:Advisory Services
- Renewal Strategy
- Market Options Analysis
- Site / Location Analysis
- Relocation / Consolidation Strategy & Analysis
- Design & Space Planning Services
- Lease Audit
- Lease Administration
- Market Surveys
- Comparable Transaction(s) Analysis
- Landlord Vacancy (by location)
- Landlord Portfolio Status
- Demographic Analysis by Postal Code
- Negotiating Strategy and Execution
- Blend & Extend Strategy & Analysis
- Letter of Intent (Drafting)
- Offer to Lease (Documentation)
- Advice on Lease Terms for Franchisees
If you have facility questions you need answered, CONTACT US.*/** Provided in cooperation with a Real Estate Brokerage
The decision to buy or sell a business is likely the most important decision you will ever make. You will receive advice from all sides including family, friends and business colleagues. It can be stressful, distracting and in some cases …
The decision to buy or sell a business is likely the most important decision you will ever make. You will receive advice from all sides including family, friends and business colleagues. It can be stressful, distracting and in some cases discouraging. This however does not have to be the case. Working through a SELLER CHECKLIST can overcome these issues and deliver the peace of mind and the successful outcome you desire. These steps include:Step 1.0: Have a Good Reason to Sell Your Business
It may sound self-evident but the fact of the matter is many owners make the decision when...
- The business is in trouble (Marketing , Sales, Cash Flow, Financing, Staff Issues)
- Market share is falling and the business model is in question
- Competition don’t consider you competition
- The Partnership is not working (Conflicts on strategy, process, funding, role & responsibilities)
- The economy is less favourable for the business
...and not when the business is flourishing. There are many other solutions other than sale - when the business is not doing well. Business Coaching is one.Step 2.0: Surround Yourself with Competent Professionals
Deciding to surround yourself with professionals to navigate the challenges to be faced – is the most important first step you will take. Depending on your business you will likely need some or all of the following professionals during the process.
- Business Appraisers, Equipment Appraisers
- Real Estate Appraiser, Environmental Engineer
- Lawyers, Accountants, Bankers, Mortgagors
- Business and Life Insurance Professionals
- Business Intermediary (Business Broker)
- Business Analyst and Structuring Professional
- Investment and Wealth Managers
- Business Coach
SUCCESS ELEMENTS understands the challenge and the need to coordinate the many professionals that will be involved. The question then becomes do you want to do this yourself or engage an experienced party, a single point of contact, to do it on your behalf. We have the experience and the process to help on this front.Step 3.0: Enhance Value Before You Sell
Key to enhancing value is ensuring that your business house is in order, as first impressions are forever. Having it in order will shorten both the sale time and Due Diligence. Items to consider include:
- Re-cast Your Financials – as if you were a public company (transparency)
- Complete an independent Business Valuation
- Clean-up the Balance Sheet – protracted liabilities and legal actions
- Reduce /eliminate discretionary Owner expenses
- Prove the value of intangibles (brand, alliances, exclusive agreements, licenses, patents and loyal customer base)
- Substantiate your Market Share and why it is sustainable
- Forecast using your industry ratios, benchmarks and trends
- Install Best Practices across key functional areas
- Complete a Real Estate Valuation (if property is involved)
- Complete a Phase 1.0 Environmental & Phase 2.0 (if required)
- Physical housekeeping (Paint, carpet, lighting, etc.)
- Ensure Meeting Minutes are in order
In addition to the above, the items below should be on a Seller’s radar to ensure optimum Sale Proceeds.
- Assess tax advantages of an Asset vs. Share sale
- Review of Ownership Structure (Optimizing Capital Gains exemption options)
- Organization Structure (review redundant and / or surplus positions)
- Estate and Tax Planning Assistance
- Consider a financing part of the sale (VTB)
- Assess allocation of Sale Proceeds (Assets, non-compete, deferred payments, etc.)
Key tools to use in reducing risk and safe guarding asset value include:
- Signed Confidentiality Agreements (For all accessing the Data Room)
- A Data Room (Online & secure for all financial and operational documents)
- Proper levels of Property & Liability Insurance
- Consideration given to terminating / Acquiring Partner's interest
- A pre-determined position on a market based Non-Compete
- Assess risk in Asset vs. Share sales
By now you have selected a Business Intermediary (Business Broker). Hopefully that selection has included a proven and documented process to sell your business with milestones to be completed / achieved along the way. Key elements of the process include:
- The Marketing Package (Comprehensive, accurate and compelling)
- Identified Target Markets (Industry, Private Equity Groups and Individuals)
- Target Market Database assembly or in-hand
- Proven Marketing Process against a relevant Buyer database
- “No Asking Price” Strategy ...to deflect curiosity of NON-BUYING competitors
- Executed Confidentiality Agreements
As illustrated above, selling a business is more complex than selling a property. That’s the case for both the Seller and the Buyer. As a consequence having a fair modicum of patience is a requirement. Keeping as close as possible to the checklist will get you through the process in great shape and hopefully richer for the experience.
SUCCESS ELEMENTS is a Business Coach but with a significant PLUS. We have over 45 years of entrepreneurial and corporate business experience, we’ve been there, sold businesses and understand the challenges. Equally important our business network includes leading professionals you can review and consider as part of your inner circle above.
For more information on how SUCCESS ELEMENTS can help you coordinate the sale of your business, CONTACT US.
As a successful small / medium business owner you have likely already considered many products and models for the investment of personal and / or company earnings. We believe as most do, that owners need a strong diversified investment plan …
Investment Real Estate
As a successful small / medium business owner you have likely already considered many products and models for the investment of personal and / or company earnings. We believe as most do, that owners need a strong diversified investment plan guided by a trusted professional to mitigate risks and achieve superior market returns. If Commercial Income Properties are part of your plan... then we can help.
While SUCCESS ELEMENTS is not a Wealth Management Advisor, we do have deep experience in the Commercial Real Estate sector and licensed to provide Advisory Services. When this category of investment is being considered by clients or soon to be clients - we are able to provide market data and counsel as follows:
- Market Overview by Category and Class (Office / Industrial / Retail)
- Market Opportunities by Category and Class
- Financial Analysis of Property – 'As Is' and 'Stabilized Value'
- Structure & Tax Optimization
- Transaction Structure / Strategy / Offer / Negotiation
- Review your investment objectives and preferred risk profile
- Review your preferred transaction structure ( equity / debt)
- Understand your desired level of involvement in property management
- Review ownership structure options and/or preferences
- Map out timelines and milestones prior to commencing the search
- Report regularly on progress until a property has been located
- Provide property analysis and recommendations
- Provide transaction support en route to closing the transaction
SUCCESS ELEMENTS will work on your behalf with its commercial real estate network to provide the advice and services you require to make an informed decision in this investment category.
For more information, please CONTACT US.
At SUCCESS ELEMENTS we recognize that not all opportunities or challenges can be improved or eliminated respectively by our Business Coaching model. In these cases where timing and internal resources make outsourcing the obvious or only solution, then our consulting …
At SUCCESS ELEMENTS we recognize that not all opportunities or challenges can be improved or eliminated respectively by our Business Coaching model. In these cases where timing and internal resources make outsourcing the obvious or only solution, then our consulting services may be the answer.
SUCCESS ELEMENTS can either directly or in conjunction with its network of carefully selected service providers, offer specific Consulting Services in key areas of your business.
The services offered include:
- Strategic Plan Development or Refinement
- Strategic Plan Process Facilitation (Onsite or offsite / retreat)
- Sales and Marketing Audits and Recommendations
- Sales and Marketing Plan Development
- IT Audit and Recommendations
- Social Media Audit and Recommendations
- New Product / Service Development Facilitation
To determine whether our Consulting Services are right for your specific need CONTACT US.